Action agency responses to 2004 SORS

For more information about SORs, click here.

SOR # Response
04-19 Based on the observation of adult chum salmon at Ives and Pierce Islands, a stable tailwater elevation in the Ives and Pierce Islands area started on November 9 with an initial targeted daytime tailwater elevation of 11.3 - 11.7 feet. This elevation was increased to 11.7 - 12.1 feet on December 8. The elevation was increased again to 11.9 . 12.3 feet on December 15. On several occasions in December it was necessary to allow daily tailwater change exceedences and expanded hours for higher discharges in order to pass high river flows. Also flows were ramped up and back down during day and night hours on 7 dates between November 17 and December 8 for a chum spawning study. The Bonneville tailwater was increased from 11.5 feet up to 15.1 feet in 1.2-foot increments every other hour, then ramped back down again on the same schedule, for the study.
At a TMT conference call on December 29, the salmon managers stated that spawning had ended. As a result, the action agencies. changed the operational goal from limiting spawning access to a redd protection operation for the incubation/emergence period. At that time the daytime upper elevation limit was ended and a 24 hr/day minimum tailwater level was set at 11.9 ft.
04-18 Dworshak elevation was 1533.20 ft August 31. Until August 31 outflow was a little above 10 kcfs. Outflow was reduced to 7 kcfs August 31. Outflow temperature was maintained in the 45-47 degree range until. September 14 when the temperature went up to around 54 degrees when flow was reduced to 4.7 kcfs.
04-17 Dworshak outflows were maintained near 10 Kcfs from July 7-11, 2004. Dworshak outflows were ramped up to approximately 11.5 Kcfs on July 12th. Based on high air temperature concerns, Dworshak outflows were ramped up to approximately 13 Kcfs on July 23rd, 2004 and were ramped back down to approximately 11.5 Kcfs July 26th, 2004. Flows were ramped down to 9.8 Kcfs (full powerhouse) on August 8. A release water temperature of 45° F was targeted for most of the implementation period. The Dworshak release temperature was reduced to 43° F from July 26th to August 4th, also to attempt to counteract the effect of high air temperatures. On August 31st, 2004 Dworshak was at an elevation of 1533.8 feet, leaving slightly less than 200 Kaf of flow augmentation for the first portion of September.
04-16 Flows at Dworshak were increased to near 7 Kcfs on June 30th, 2004 and were further increased to near 10 Kcfs on July 6th, 2004.
04-15 Spill was approximately 30% of total outflow at John Day Dam through August 31st, 2004. Spill averaged 39-40% of total outflow at The Dalles Dam from July 1st to August 31st, 2004. At Bonneville Dam operations were not in accordance with SOR 2004-15. Spill levels of 50 Kcfs occurred throughout the following periods: 7-2 to 7-3, 7-8 to 7-12, 7-16 to 7-17, 7-20 to 7-23, 7-28 to 7-29. Also, during periods when Bonneville was spilling 75 Kcfs during the daytime, spill was predominantly not to the gas cap at night.
04-14 Operators at Libby maintained fairly stable outflows of approximately 12.5 Kcfs after the Sturgeon Pulse Operation, however did not draft to elevation 2439 feet by August 31st as specified in SOR 2004-14. On August 31st, 2004 Libby was at an elevation of 2445 feet. Also, SOR 2004-14 asked for stable flows in September, flows in September fluctuated between 9.6 and 14.0 Kcfs, with an average of 11.2 Kcfs.
04-13 Spill ended June 23 and juvenile fish collection for transport began that day.
04-12 Priest Rapids average flow the week of May 31 to June 6 was 131 Kcfs.
04-C4 Bon forebay elevation was held within the specified limit 100% of the time.
04-11 The COE agreed to change the study to test two units instead of four outside of 1%. Unit 6 was operated within 1% so the fish can be tested and compared to those who pass units operating outside 1%. The COE said that if there was less than a 5% difference in treatments, they would continue with the modernization study. If the difference is more than 5%, the COE said they would consider discontinuing the study. Running units outside of 1% was stopped May 28, 2004.
04-1 (USFWS) TMT agreed to implement this SOR. Libby flows started to ramp up May 29 and reached 13 Kcfs on May 30th. Outflows were ramped up to 14 Kcfs June 6th. Libby flows further ramped up to 15 Kcfs June 13th, and up to 16 Kcfs June 20th. Libby outflows started to ramp down June 27th.
04-10 A spill subgroup met on June 2nd to look at spill operations at The Dalles and John Day, and agreed to revise the management strategy so that the percentages (40%, 60%) are targets rather than maximums. The COE and BPA have been operating with this strategy since Friday, June 4, following a TMT conference call and agreement. In regard to compensating for lost spill, the COE was unable to agree to provide the type of compensation or mitigation the SOR requested
04-C3 Bon forebay elevation was held within the specified limit 97% of the time.
04-09 The SOR was not implemented because unsafe transport conditions did not occur.
04-C2 Bon forebay elevation was held within the specified limit 95% of the time.
04-08 Spill was not the 12 Kcfs requested in the SOR at Lower Granite, instead it was 10.2-10.3 Kcfs from 5 PM on 5-5-2004 to 6 AM on 5-6-04. Also, the SOR asks that the operation requested not come at the expense of other fish protection measures, however spill was reduced at Bonneville Dam to offset this operation.
04-07 Flows on Friday May 7, 2004 averaged 123.9 Kcfs at Priest Rapids, but then dropped to 107.0 Kcfs over the weekend. The week average flow at priest Rapids Dam from May 10th, 2004 to May 16th was 139.3 Kcfs and from May 17th to23rd flows averaged 132.3 Kcfs.  Flows continued to fluctuate outside the designated bands several times per week.
04-C1 Bon forebay elevation was held within the specified limit 97% of the time.
04-06 Spill at Lower Granite and Little Goose Dams ended on April 23rd, 2004 in accordance with the COEs decision on spring spill in the Snake River (http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/tmt/agendas/2004/0419-springspill.pdf).
04-05 BPA supported the SOR but claimed that they could only meet the 110 Kcfs as a weekly average.  Over the week between 4-15-04 and 4-21-04, flow average 114 Kcfs; from 4-22-04 to 4-28-04 flows averaged 110 Kcfs at Priest Rapids.  The SOR also calls for minimal daily fluctuations at Priest Rapids to minimize; multiple days have exceeded the fluctuation bands in 2004.  Spill was increased to a day average of atlas 75 Kcfs on April 17th, 2004.
04-04 Spill did begin on April 12th at all Lower Columbia projects (McNary, John Day, The Dalles, and Bonneville).  Spill has been somewhat short of the Biological Opinion levels at John Day and The Dalles Dams.
04-03 Lower Granite and Lower Monumental spilled through April 23rd, the SOR asked for spill through April 30th.  Ice Harbor started spilled on April 13th at 1800 hours, the SOR asked for spill on the evening of April 12th.  Lower Monumental spill did not begin as asked for in the SOR.  The following is a link to the COEs decision pertaining to spring spill on the Snake River, http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/tmt/agendas/2004/0419-springspill.pdf.
04-02 Spill began at Lower Granite on April 3rd, 2004 at 1800 hours, in accordance with the SOR.  Spill began at Little Goose at 1800 hours on April 7th, which was delayed in accordance with the SOR due to few fish numbers.  Ice Harbor started spilling on April 13th at 1800, which was also delayed due to fish numbers.  Lower Monumental did not start spilling as called for in the SOR. The MOP operations outlined in the SOR were implemented.
04-01 After some debate, the Action Agencies decided not to run McNary turbines outside of 1% of peak efficiency, except for those for the “McNary Modernization” study. This study includes a blocked design of either turbines 2, 3, 4,and 5 or turbine nine operating outside of 1% peak efficiency.


More about System Operational Requests...

Note: Click the statement or question to open and close.


Page last updated on: January 14, 2008

This website designed for 1024 x 768 or higher resolution. Questions and comments to: webmaster@fpc.org

[ Home ] [ Adult ] [ Smolt ] [ Spawning ] [ River ] [ Hatchery] [ Survival] [ Travel times] [ Documents ]